The House Mill was built in 1776 as a timber framed building with a brick facade. It was rebuilt after a fire in 1804. It is the largest remaining Tide Mill in the UK and one of the few Grade 1 listed industrial buildings in London. It spans the tidal reach of the River Lea over six channels carrying four water wheels operating 12 pairs of millstones. The fabric of the building has been fully refurbished and there is a considerable amount of the internal machinery remaining that is of national importance. There is a cafe and walks in the area.
Architecture centre, Industrial heritage site
It is open weekends June to October Saturdays and Sundays 2pm-4pm. There are also other openings and special events.
Three Mill Lane
0208 980 4626
0208 980 0725