Clun Local History Museum
The ground floor of Clun Town Hall, which now houses the Museum, was once an open jail where prisoners were chained before being taken away for trial. Later the ground floor arches were filled in and it became a market hall, but the cobbled floor still remains. Outside on the wall facing the Square, by the telephone box, hangs the coat of arms of the Earls of Powis - the elephant representing the coat of arms of Clive of India whose son married into the Powis family.
The Museum is run by the Clun Town Trust, registered with the Charities Commission on 16 May 1924 to "administer and manage . ... . . two silver maces, formerly belonging to the dissolved Corporation of the Bailiffs and Burgesses of the Borough of Clun, in the County of Salop". There are four trustees and those serving at present are: Mr Bill Rowe, Mr Kent Tomey, and Mrs Jane Kent with one vacancy. After much hard work the museum received provisional accreditation under the Museums, Libraries and Archives Accreditation Scheme. Work is in progress for full accreditation during the next nine months..
Opening Hours from Easter until 31st October:
Tuesdays: 2.00 pm - 5.00 pm
Saturdays: and Bank Holiday Mondays and Tuesdays 11.00 am - 1.00 pm and 2.00 pm - 5.00 pm