56 Park Street
020 7902 1500
020 7902 1515
Built in 1587 by Philip Henslowe, the Rose was the first theatre on London's Bankside. In 1989 its remains were discovered and partially excavated amidst a blaze of international press coverage. Despite their huge archaeological and cultural significance, they were promptly covered up again for conservation reasons. Nearly ten years later, the theatre site was reopened to the public (on 13 April 1999), this time as the venue for an exciting exhibition presenting the history of the Rose. This has been organised by the Rose Theatre Trust as the first stage in its campaign to reawaken public interest in the site, and help raise funds for its re-excavation, stabilisation and permanent display.
Museum, Association or society
The Rose Theatre site is now operated by the Exhibitions Department of Shakespeare's Globe, who offer tours of the site with their own expert guides. These are currently available to pre-booked groups only, though there are also plans to offer regular openings of the site for the general public in future.