Grade II Listing Planned For Six Norfolk War Memorial Cottages

By Graham Spicer | 14 November 2005
  • News
  • Archived article
Shows a photo of a row of red brick cottages with a stone war memorial on a lawn in front of them

The cottages were built between 1948 and 1950 as a memorial to veterans from the Royal Norfolk Regiment. © Keith Whitmore 2005

Plans have been announced to make six Second World War memorial cottages grade-two listed buildings.

The cottages were built between 1948 and 1950 in the village of Sprowston, near Norwich. They commemorate veterans of the Royal Norfolk Regiment, five of whom won Victoria Crosses during the Second World War – the greatest number for any British division during the conflict.

“These memorial cottages are poignant and important monuments to those who gave their lives in the Second World War,” said the Culture Minister David Lammy.

Shows a photo of a memorial with the words in memory of the officers and men of the Royal Norfolk Regiment on it with a brick cottage in the background

After public consultation, it is hoped that the cottages will gain grade-two listed building status. © Keith Whitmore 2005

“They also have a real historic significance and architectural quality which has convinced me that they merit the extra protection that listing provides.”

English Heritage and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment have both backed the recommendation and, subject to a four-week period of public consultation, the buildings should then be listed.

Despite the scarcity of building materials when they were built, the cottages are of a high quality with richly detailed brickwork in the distinctive local vernacular Baroque style. There is also a regimental memorial in front of the terrace of houses.

Shows a photo of a man unfurling a yellow flag with a black emblem on it in front of a red brick cottage

Archie Wyatt, 5th Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment, a resident of one of the cottages unfurling the regimental flag. © Keith Whitmore 2005

The houses are named after four of the Victoria Cross Holders – George Gristock, Sidney Bates, John Randle and George Knowland – and the theatres of war in which the regiment fought – Europe and Asia. A house in King’s Lynn, now demolished, commemorated the fifth holder, David Jamieson.

All those commemorated have now died, the last in 2001.

Listing buildings with special architectural or historic interest ensures that there is consultation over any decisions that may affect their future, such as alterations or redevelopment proposals. Since 1995 public consultation has been required before listing any post-Second World War building.

Related listings (38)
See all related listings »
Related resources (64)
See all related resources »