A full list of airfields from the First and Second World War granted listed status by the government in 2005
Bicester, Oxfordshire, built as a bomber station from 1924 and retains grass airfield, airfield defences, bomb stores, perimeter track and hardstandings added during the Second World War.
Bicester, Oxfordshire. © English Heritage
Biggin Hill, London Borough of Bromley, Britain's most celebrated fighter station retains officers' mess (1934) and group of technical and domestic buildings (mostly 1930-34), including the best-preserved married quarters associated with anationally-important site.
Calshot, Hampshire, opened in 1913, best-preserved of chain of contemporary seaplane bases.
Catterick, North Yorkshire, originally a Home Defence Station in 1914, is thebest-preserved fighter sector station in the north of England, retaining group of First World War hangars.
Cosford, Shropshire, opened in 1938 as No.2 School of Technical Training and during Second World War over 70,000 engine and airframe mechanics and armourers attended courses there.
Cranwell, Lincolnshire, Cadet College begun in 1929, a cornerstone of Britain's independent airforce.
Debden, Essex, opened as a fighter station in 1937 and noted for the largely intact preservation of its flying field and defensive perimeter.
Duxford is now also host to the Imperial War Museum. © Imperial War Museum.
Duxford, Cambridgeshire, famous Battle of Britain fighter station, later used as USAAF fighter station, also retains best-preserved technical fabric remaining from a site up to November 1918.
East Kirby, Lincolnshire, opened in 1943 in support of Bomber Command's offensive, with airmen from nearly 200 Commonwealth countries operating from it with 57 and 630 squadrons.
Elvington, Yorkshire, opened October 1942. Halifax Bombers based at Elvington were heavily engaged in the Battle of the Ruhr in early 1943 and in May and June 1944, two heavy bomber squadrons of the Free French Air Forceformed there.
Filton, Gloucestershire, former Aircraft Acceptance Park for the reception and final assembly of aircraft and their flight testing, storage and distribution tosquadrons to the north of Sir George White's aircraft factory of 1910.
Halton, Buckinghamshire, established as the centre for technical training for the Royal Flying Corps in 1917.
Henlow, Bedfordshire, five General Service Sheds comprise the most complete ensemble of hangar buildings on any British site for the period up to1923.
Hullavington, Wiltshire. © English Heritage
Hullavington, Wiltshire, opened 1937 as a Flying Training Station and embodies to a unique degree the improved architectural quality associated with the post-1934 Expansion Period of the RAF.
Kemble, Gloucestershire/Wiltshire, the most strongly representative - by virtue of its range of hangar types - of 24 Aircraft Storage Unit sites planned and builtby the Air Ministry between 1936 and 1940.
Larkhill, Wiltshire, one of the two sites in Britain where aircraft sheds built in association with the early pioneers of powered flight have survived. As historically significant as the remains of the Wright Brothers workshops and the resited 1910Boeing workshop at Seattle. Britain's first military airfield.
Little Staughton, Cambridgeshire, Pathfinder Mosquitoes from 109 Squadron and Lancasters of 583 Squadron active from April 1944.
Little Walden, Essex, used by the USAAF from April 1944 and has exceptionally complete example of common type control tower used the Second World War.
Ludham, Norfolk, opened in 1941 as a forward operating base for Fighter Command.
Manby, Lincolnshire, after Hullavington the most complete and architecturally unified of the post-1934 Expansion Period stations in Britain.
Netheravon Officer's chalets. © English Heritage
Netheravon, Wiltshire, begun in 1912, the most complete of the sites relating to formative phase in the development of military aviation in Europe, prior to the First World War.
Northolt, London Borough of Hillingdon, one of the 11 Group sector stations which played a significant operational role in the Battle of Britain. Memorial commemorates the contribution of Polish airmen to the Allied war effort.
North Weald, Essex, fighter sector station with Battle of Britain associations, and after Kenley and Debden retains the best-preserved of the landscapes putin place by Fighter Command at the beginning of the Second World War.
North Weald, Essex. Courtesy Arthur Moreton, North Weald Airfield Museum.
Old Sarum, Wiltshire, best-preserved flying field of the First World War period.
Rougham, Suffolk, used by the USAAF's 94th Bomb Group, whose morenotable missions included those against the ball bearing works atEberhausen and Schweinfurt, and the Marienburg raid of October 9 1943(hailed as the most accurate of that year).
Scampton, Lincolnshire, opened in 1936 as a bomber station, association with the Dambuster Raids make it Bomber Command's most famous base of theSecond World War and it continued to evolve as a landscape for the projection of deterrent power against the Soviet Union in the Cold War period.
Spitalgate, Lincolnshire, opened as a training station in 1917, one of few retained for use by the RAF after 1919.
Swanton Morley, Norfolk, along with West Malling has the best-preservedexample of the most definably Art Deco of the Air Ministry's control tower designs. The first combined bombing raid with British and American personnel was launched from Swanton Morley on June 29 1942, with both Churchill and Eisenhower present.
Upavon, Wiltshire, founded in 1912 as the Royal Flying Corp's Central Flying School.
Uxbridge, London Borough of Hillingdon, developed as a major armaments training school at the end of the First World War and then as a recruit-training centre for the RAF in the 1920s. Underground bunker of 1938 contains the Group Operations Room from where the vital 11 Fighter Group was commanded during the Battle of Britain.