Walter Scott's Abbotsford home set for reopening by Queen in Scottish Borders

By Culture24 Reporter | 27 June 2013

Items owned by Rob Roy and Napoleon, the spoils of war and keys left behind by Mary, Queen of Scots will be among the highlights when the former Abbotsford home of author Sir Walter Scott welcomes the public back inside.

A photo of a decadent drawing room full of art
The Chinese Drawing Room at Walter Scott's former home at Abbotsford, which is just about to reopen to the public
A £12 million project has resulted in two new rooms at the pioneering writer’s 19th century domicile in the Scottish Borders. It has been closed for two years, despite a well-received Abbotsford Visitor Centre opening with a special exhibition at the site last year.

The Queen will officially reopen Abbotsford, where a library features more than 7,000 books, dwarfing Scott’s own study of 2,000 works. They overlook the desk he once wrote at, and an Entrance Hall and Religious Corridor are lined with stone carvings and suits of armour.

The Abbotsford Trust still needs to raise £2.5 million once the famous retreat has opened. Its Chief Executive, Jason Dyer, said Scott’s old home would be a “world-class visitor attraction” worthy of a figure possessing “iconic literary and cultural status.”

“When the Trust first took over Abbotsford, visitor numbers were dwindling and the house was in urgent need of repair,” he said, reflecting on a six-year plan.

“We are confident that Abbotsford will now resume its role as one of the world’s foremost literary attractions, bringing visitors from home and abroad.

“Sir Walter Scott was a global superstar in his time and, even today, his influence is far-reaching.

“This is the place that Scott loved and that inspired much of his work.”

Design fans might be equally enamoured with the Drawing Room, known for its hand-painted Chinese wallpaper, and the Armoury and Ante Room, which holds Scott’s extensive collection of arms.

He died in The Dining Room in 1832, having seen his books translated in dozens of languages across the world. The Chapel was added by his granddaughter, Charlotte, 23 years later.

Rob Roy’s broadsword, dagger, gun and purse, a pen and blotter containing a lock of Napoleon’s hair, a scrap of fruitcake from the Battle of Culloden and the keys to a castle retrieved after the Queen of Scots’ 1568 escape are among the 9,000 objects demonstrating Scott’s antiquarian tendencies.

Many of them have been catalogued, cleaned and repaired during lengthy conservation work, most visibly on the crumbling stonework of the building’s exterior and the fabric of the building. Curators have displayed the artefacts based on drawings of the house made by JMW Turner and William Allan in 1831 and 1832.

The Hope Scott Wing will be converted into luxury self-catering accommodation as a means of creating income for the heritage centre. A new Learning Centre has also been created.

  • Reopens July 4 2013.

More pictures:

A photo of a curator dusting a white bust of a man inside a historic drawing room
© Paul Dodds

A photo of an ancient drawing room full of books
A photo of a woman reading a book silhouetted against the window of a drawing room
© Paul Dodds
A photo of a historic drawing room full of busts, books, paintings and furniture
A photo of a woman tending to small historic items inside a desk in a drawing room
© Paul Dodds
A photo of a historic country house in white stone with lawns outside and a flag

Latest comment: >Make a comment
More on the venues and organisations we've mentioned:
  • Back to top
  • | Print this article
  • | Email this article
  • | Bookmark and Share
    Back to article
    Your comment:
    DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted at are the opinion of the comment writer, not Culture24. Culture24 reserves the right to withdraw or withhold from publication any comments that are deemed to be hearsay or potentially libellous, or make false or unsubstantiated allegations or are deemed to be spam or unrelated to the article at which they are posted.