Bidding Hots Up For Top Lots Heritage eBay Auction

By Graham Spicer | 10 October 2007
  • News
  • Archived article
Shows Arbeia Roman Fort, on Hadrian's Wall in the North East.

Get the chance to be a Roman soldier for the afternoon at Arbeia Roman Fort. © Tyne and Wear Museums

Bids are coming in thick and fast for the Top Lots Heritage Auction on eBay, with the first items coming under the hammer on Thursday October 11 2007.

Many lots are already attracting bids of hundreds of pounds, like an exclusive personal tour inside the stones at Stonehenge, which has so far had 23 bidders with a current price of £401.

Top Lots was launched to raise funds for independent museums, galleries and heritage sites, with 80% of the proceeds from the online auctions going to the venue offering the lots and the other 20% going to the Association of Independent Museums.

Popular lots include a day at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, including a footplate ride, which is currently on at £285.75 with 30 bids so far. Fans of swashbuckling adventure can bid for a day learning sword fighting at the Royal Armouries in Leeds with the man who taught the Monty Python team, currently going for £500, and a ghost tour and overnight stay at Dover Castle is on at £460.

photo of a steam train running on a rural hillside

One of the popular lots is a day on the scenic North Yorkshire Moors Railway. © NYMR

You could have your portrait painted and unveiled in Sheffield’s Graves Art Gallery in Sheffield, then get to keep the painting – currently £430 – or take a tour of London’s historic palaces with history expert Dr Simon Thurley, Chief Executive of English Heritage, on at £155.

There are still a few bargains to be had, however, like the chance to be a Roman soldier for an afternoon at Arbeia Roman Fort, South Shields, currently on at £32, or an exclusive director’s tour of Yorkshire Sculpture Park, which was a snip at £18 last time we logged on.

While the first lots are being wrapped up, others still have several days to run and more items will be revealed on October 11. Those items will then be up on eBay for 10 days, with the last chance to bid on a unique heritage experience on October 21, when the final auction will close.

For more details, see the Top Lots website.

All bidding prices were correct at time of writing but are likely to change as the auctions progress.

Related listings (3382)
See all related listings »
Related resources (1233)
See all related resources »

Events

  • 1 mile
  • 2 miles
  • 3 miles
  • 4 miles
  • 5 miles
  • 10 miles
  • 20 miles
  • 50 miles
  • Any time
  • Today
  • This week
  • This month
  • This year

Culture24 editor's newsletter sign up
advertisement