The Revolution House
61 High Street
The Revolution House, in the Derbyshire village of Old Whittington, three miles north of Chesterfield, takes its name from the Revolution of 1688. Three hundred years ago, this cottage was an alehouse, the 'Cock and Pynot' ('Pynot' is a dialect word for magpie), and it was here, as history and tradition relate, that three local noblemen- the Earl of Devonshire (from nearby Chatsworth), the Earl of Danby and Mr. John D'Arcy - met to begin planning their part in events which led to the overthrow of King James II in favour of Willam and Mary of Orange. The ground floor of the cottage has a display of 17th Century country furniture, and upstairs there is a changing programme of exhibition on local themes. Also on show is a dvd film which tells the story of the Revolution.
Historic house or home, Museum
6th April until September 30th 2012
Bank Holidays 11:00-16:00.
Closed: Mon(except Bank Holidays)-Thurs
From Whittington Moor roundabout it is about half a mile to the Revolution House. Take the B6052 (signposted Eckington) to the top of Whittington Hill, past a group of shops on your right and turn left onto Church Street North and then sharp right. The Revolution House is in front of the Cock and Magpie Inn. There is a regular bus service from Chesterfield.