With the popularity of the work of Eric Ravilious inexorably on the rise the new exhibition at the Royal West of England Academy seems well timed.
Going Modern / Being British seeks to place this seemingly quintessential British artist within the tradition of Modernism by following Ravilious’s relationship with the social, cultural and geological landscape of Britain throughout the 1920s and 1930s.
To celebrate this innovative take on the highly popular artist we are giving away a set of four beautifully produced Ravilious books courtesy of the Mainstone Press.
The beautifully produced series comprises Sussex and the Downs, The War Paintings, A Country Life and the newly published A Travelling Artist - each is packed with lavish illustrations and engaging essays by Ravilious expert James Russell.
Each of the four books explores different aspects of the artist's career, from his long and fruitful association with the Sussex Downs to his experience as an official War Artist during WW2.
The fourth and final volume, published to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the artist's death, follows him on his pre-war travels around Britain and northern France.
To go into the hat and be in with a chance of winning this stunning quartet of books, simply answer the following question:
Which famous artist did Eric Ravilious go on a painting holiday to Bristol with in 1938?
Email your answers to email@example.com before 5pm on Thursday, March 22 2012 with 'Ravilious competition' in the subject box. One lucky entrant will be drawn at random to win the set (total rrp £100).
Terms and conditions:
- This competition is not open to employees of Culture24 or The Mainstone Press or their families.
- Entrants must be over 16 years of age and resident in the UK.
- All entrants must include contact details or their entry will be discarded. All contact details will be deleted after the competition.
- Winner will be informed on Friday, March 23.
- Winner will be drawn at random, decisions are final and correspondence will not be entered into.
- Culture24 and Mainstone Press do not take responsibility for any lost or late entries.
- This competition is free to enter, no purchase is necessary.
- The prize must be taken as stated, cannot be deferred, and there is no cash alternative.