New Gallery: Glasgow Boys, Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow
© Glasgow Life
In 2010, major exhibition Pioneering Painters: The Glasgow Boys 1880-1900 broke Kelvingrove's box office record. Now a new permanent gallery has opened dedicated to the movement.
The Glasgow Boys were a group of painters in the 1880s and 1890s who were associated with Glasgow. They included Joseph Crawhall, Sir James Guthrie, George Henry, EA Hornel, Sir John Lavery, EA Walton and Thomas Millie Dow.
They painted in an impressionist style and were heavily influenced by French realism and Japanese prints. The group often worked outdoors, producing colourful naturalistic scenes of rural Scotland.
© Glasgow Life
The new display features more than 60 paintings and includes work not just from the key period of the movement at the end of the 19th century, but also paintings from their later careers.
There are works are on show in the gallery that haven't been seen by the public for some time, as well as favourites such as The Druids Bringing in the Mistletoe and Old Willie – the Village Worthy.
The Glasgow Boys gallery is dedicated to the recently retired Lord Macfarlane of Bearsden, who was instrumental in raising £12.75 million for the refurbishment of Kelvingrove.
"Lord Macfarlane has long been a supporter of the Glasgow Boys and it's no small measure of his success that they are finally enjoying the recognition they deserve," said Councillor George Redmond, the Chair of Glasgow Life.
"He will be forever associated with the refurbishment of Kelvingrove and this new gallery is a lasting reminder of the cultural endeavours he has undertaken for Glasgow."