The Guildhall was built in 1269 as the church for the Greyfriars. After the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1538 the church became the Town Hall. It was also used as a court room with famous trials including Willaim Blake (famous for writing 'Jerusalem') in 1804. In 1947 it was used to for local history displays and today is part of the Chichester District Museum service. It is a Grade 1 listed building and an Ancient Scheduled Monument.
Wheelchair and pram access to the whole building
12pm - 4pm, subject to availability. If you would like to visit inside the Guildhall, please check with The Novium reception to see if it is open.
Displays show the history of the area including the Castle which was destroyed in 1217, the Greyfriars and William Blake. There is also information on Priory Park.
Collections on display include Roman grave stones and the base of the Jupiter column found in West Street during the 1930s. There are also examples of more recently objects including a post box from the 1930s and a turnip cutter from the nineteenth century
Archaeology, Architecture, Personalities, Religion, Social History