The Battlefields Trust
The Battlefields Trust is a registered charity. It is a membership organisation dedicated to Britain’s battlefield heritage and acts as a portal to this heritage. We work closely with English Heritage, Historic Scotland and with other organisations with an interest in heritage conservation and promotion.
The Battlefields Trust aims to:
• Save battlefields from destruction by motorways, housing developments etc.
• Provide a range of battlefield-related activities and information, including the quarterly magazine 'Battlefield', battlefield walks and conferences,
• Liaise with local and national organisations to preserve battlefields for posterity, and
• Improve the interpretation and presentation of battlefields.
Why battlefields matter
Nearly everyone in the UK lives within half an hour’s drive of a battlefield. Some, like Hastings, Bosworth and Culloden, are familiar to most of us. Others are relatively unknown. Yet the battles fought on them all played their part in shaping the way that we live today. Join us now and help to ensure that these priceless historical sites are preserved for everyone to understand and enjoy, both now and in the future.
We campaign both locally and nationally to defend battlefields from inappropriate development or even destruction. We work hard to make the most of their educational and recreational potential. Our members have helped set up information boards at sites across Britain and also prepared battlefield trails for you to follow.
Joining the Trust is a great way of learning more about battles and battlefields. Many of our members are experts in their field and are happy to share their knowledge. We stage regular talks and study days and there’s a full programme of battlefield walks, sometimes in areas not normally accessible to the public. You can also become part of a local group, dedicated to the care and interpretation of an individual battlefield. Many people have commented on how they have made new friends and learned new skills as a result of their membership.
Benefits of being a member:
• 'Battlefield', our quarterly Magazine
- Keeping you informed about the latest fights to preserve battlefields
- Keeping you informed about forthcoming battlefield walks, study days and conferences
- Providing a wide range of articles on battlefields and battlefield-related themes
- Giving stimulating debate on many battlefield issues
• An extensive programme of battlefield walks and talks
• An active regional network, providing opportunities to become more involved locally.
• An annual residential conference - Oxford in April 2015
• Two trips planned in 2015 - Agincourt and WW2 Normandy
• Discounts with affiliated organisations
• A dedicated members' section on the Battlefields Trust website with articles and noticeboard
• The knowledge that you are helping to preserve our battlefield heritage for generations to come
Campaign or initiative
n/a for the Trust itself, but those battlefields part or wholly owned by another organisation (e.g. National Trust or English Heritage) will normally have set opening hours. See details of that organisation for hours.
There is no charge for using the Resource Centre, but anyone quoting from it is asked to give a full acknowledgement.
Entry to most battlefields is free of charge, but those part or wholly owned by another organisation (e.g. National Trust or English Heritage) will charge an admission fee. See details of that organisation for fees.
The Battlefields Trust
c/o 60 Seymour Road