The Library Space
108 Battersea Park Road
0207 498 2770
The Library Space, formerly known as the Edwin Tate Library, is a grade II listed building within the Battersea Park Conservation Area.
It was built in 1910 as an extension to what was then the Battersea Polytechnic Institute, which was founded in 1891. In 1966 it became the University of Surrey and moved out to premises in Guildford two years later. It was subsequently used as Kingsway College.
The building was designed by the architect Edward William Mountford (1855-1908) who also designed Battersea Town Hall, and Frederick Dare Clapham (1873-1914)
The Edwin Tate Library was commissioned by Edwin Tate, son of the sugar refiner Sir Henry Tate, who endowed the Tate Britain at Millbank, London.
In 2010 the building was converted for residential use, except for the Library which was given a cultural function.
During renovation the aim was to restore the Library to its former glory while preserving its original features.
Gallery, Artist studio or collective
Dependent on exhibitions and events. Please contact the gallery for more information
Please contact the gallery for more information