New Tavern Fort

New Tavern Fort
Milton Place
Gravesham
Kent
DA12 2BT
England

Website

www.gravesham.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=960

E-mail

newtavernfort@gravesham.gov.uk

Telephone

01474 337442

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.

The New Tavern Fort is the remains of an 18th century fort situated within the Fort Gardens and built in the 1780s to defend the Thames against the threat of a naval attack from France and extensively rebuilt by General Gordon between 1865 and 1879.

The New Tavern Fort is the remains of an 18th century fort situated within the Fort Gardens and built in the 1780s to defend the Thames against the threat of a naval attack from France and extensively rebuilt by General Gordon between 1865 and 1879.

The Fort was re-armed in 1904 and guns representing that period of development are now on display. Come along and venture into the mysterious underground world of the Victorian artilleryman and see the magazines and full size reconstructions of scenes from Gravesend during the Second World War.

Then New Tavern Fort is owned by Gravesham Borough Council and managed by the volunteers of Thames Defence Heritage.

The New Tavern Fort is now closed for the winter and will re-open on Saturday 3 April 2010.

Venue Type:

Heritage site, Castle or defences

Opening hours

Sat, Sun, Bank Holiday Mon 12.00-17.00
3 April - 26 September 2010

Closed: Mon-Fri

advertisement