City of London
0207 626 2717
The Monument stands at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill in the City of London. It was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London (1666) and to celebrate the rebuilding of the City.
As part of the rebuilding, it was decided to erect a permanent memorial near the place where the Great Fire began. Sir Christopher Wren, Surveyor General to King Charles II and the architect of St. Paul's Cathedral, and his friend and colleague Dr Robert Hooke provided a design for a colossal Doric column in the antique tradition. They drew up plans for a column containing a cantilevered stone staircase of 311 steps leading to a viewing platform. This was surmounted by a drum and a copper urn from which flames emerged, symbolising the Great Fire. The Monument is 61 metres high (202 feet) - the exact distance between it and the site in Pudding Lane where the fire began.
The column was initially used as a place for experiments by the Royal Society, later becoming a place of historic interest, providing visitors with views across London in all directions.
Last admission 17.00