A Minster Church was established in Southwell in 956: apart from the tessellated floor the only remaining piece of the Saxon church is the late 11th century tympanum (lintel) over a doorway in the North transept. From 1108-1150 the Minster was rebuilt in the Norman style. In 1234 The Norman Quire was replaced by the present Early English Gothic masterpiece. The building was damaged during the Civil War, and struck by lightning in 1711. It was extensively restored in the late 19th century, and became a Cathedral in 1884.
Today the Minster has two functions: it is the cathedral for the 313 churches in the Southwell Diocese and it is an active and well-loved parish church. Maintenance and restoration of the Minster continues. New organs, nave choir stalls, a magnificent new West window and modern artwork have been installed in recent years.
Across the churchyard there is the Minster Centre and Theological Library, a modern Refectory and the Minster shop.
The Minster is open every day.
There is no fee for admission but a suggested donation of £3 for those waged and £1 for unwaged and children.