Lancaster Priory & Parish Church in North West England - just south of the Lake District - dates from the 11th century, though there has been a church on this site from 630 A.D. and maybe in Roman times. Roman remains have been found under the Chancel. The present building, next to Lancaster Castle, is mainly 15th century.
The three great brass candelabra were given in 1717 by William Heysham, though they are probably significantly older than that. The interior of the Priory was refurbished in 1992-93. Old plasterwork was removed revealing natural stonework which has been restored. Where the stonework was of inferior quality, new plasterwork was carried out using special materials recommended by experts. The 900th anniversary of the foundation as a Priory was celebrated in 1994 with special Services, a pageant, concerts and a firework display in conjunction with Lancaster City Council.
Mon - Sat 10.00-16.30.
In winter, we may close for lunch.
On Sundays, our first Service is at 08.00. We may occasionally close for lunch on Sundays throughout the year.
There is no admission charge, although donations are welcomed.