Leach Pottery

Leach Pottery St Ives
Guided tours icon Shop icon Library icon Study area icon Wheelchair access icon

The Leach Pottery in St Ives was established by Bernard Leach and Shoji Hamada in 1920. One of the great figures of 20th century art, Leach played a crucial pioneering role in creating an identity for artist potters in Britain and around the world.

Today, following a restoration and rebuild project which was completed in 2008, the Leach Pottery includes the historic workshop and kilns, a dedicated museum space, contemporary gallery and shop and working production studios where the new range of Leach tableware is made by a small international team of potters and apprentices. A new education and research space is being developed on site with support from Cornwall Council and Heritage Lottery Funding.

Venue Type:

Museum, Gallery, Artist studio or collective

Opening hours

March - October

Open every day

10.00 - 17.00, Sundays 11.00 - 16.00

November - February

Open Monday - Saturday

10.00 - 17.00

Last admissions to museum 30 minutes before closing

Closed 24, 25 & 26 December

Admission charges

Adults: £4.50
Concessions: £4.00Under 18s: Free if accompanied by an adult
Members: Free

Additional info

Production studios on site where tableware is made. This is available for sale through the shop, mail order and through other high quality outlets

Exhibition details are listed below, you may need to scroll down to see them all.

David Leach : Industrial Devils & Standard Ware

  • 12 September 2015 — 10 January 2016 *on now

David Leach OBE, 1911-2005, was the eldest of Bernard Leach’s five children. An internationally recognised potter who played a significant role in the development of the Leach Pottery, David was an active educationalist who worked to support the Craft Potters Association and Devon Guild of Craftsmen. From the early 1930s Bernard Leach was largely absent from the Pottery and David, keen to modernise production methods and improve the Pottery’s commercial outlook, took a three year Pottery Managers’ Course in Stoke-on-Trent, a place Bernard considered the home of the ‘industrial devil’: a ‘commercial scientific graveyard’ (Emmanuel Cooper 2003).

On David’s return from Stoke, the production of earthenware was ceased, the three-chamber kiln was converted from wood to oil firing, the Pottery was extended to include mechanical equipment, and the workforce organised to ensure a steady supply of local labour with the introduction of an apprenticeship system, of which William Marshall was the first. Such developments provided the backbone for the design and production of Leach Pottery Standard Ware in around 1939. A contemporary interpretation of domestic tableware made in stoneware, Standard Ware was made available through successive catalogues and its success greatly increased production and set the Pottery on a sound financial footing in a post-War environment it was well positioned to exploit.

In 1955 David went on to establish the Lowerdown Pottery in Bovey Tracey where, for the first five years, he returned to earthenware production. David returned to making domestic and individual pots, in both stoneware and porcelain, from the 1960s onwards. Ever productive, he continued working at Lowerdown into his 90s.

This exhibition presents a visual overview of Standard Ware production alongside a fine selection of pots which illustrate its development, as well as David’s production of domestic ware and personal work at the Lowerdown Pottery. Included are examples of domestic earthenware and stoneware, alongside David’s fine personal vision of timeless stoneware and porcelain pots.

Suitable for

  • Any age


£4.50 (£4 concessions)

Leach Pottery
Leach Pottery, Higher Stennack
St Ives
TR26 2HE

logo: Heritage Open Days 2014






All enquiries

01736 799703

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.