Town Hall Market Place
0118 978 3185
Wokingham Remembers is the collective name for a range of events taking place within the borough to commemorate World War I.
- Churches Together in Wokingham will hold a vigil service on August 4th marking the anniversary of the outbreak of war.
- Wokingham Town Council hosts a 'Commemorative Collectibles' event on August 6th when the local community are invited to share any artefacts from the war.
- Wokingham Town Council opens the doors of its Town Hall on 14th September and will be sharing family activities, a craft market out on the Market Place, exhibitions, concert and local history walks.
- Wokingham Heritage Memorial Trail will also be launched on 14th September. The trail links WWI memorials with information via banners at each location and a brochure outlining the whole trail.
Campaign or initiative
Monday - Friday 10-2
Other times by prior arrangement.
Free. Advance notification of any visit is advisable as the hall is used for meetings, civic occasions, weddings etc.
Wokingham Remembers Heritage Memorial Trail
- 14 September 2014 — 8 April 2018 *on now
Explore the memorials throughout the borough. These vary from external crosses, stained glass windows through to internal wooden memorials; all of which commemorate the immense sacrifice made by local individuals.
Share the local history and biographies of some of the fallen following the trail with a detailed commemorative brochure and individual banners at each location.
This project has been funded by the Heritage Lottery and has been organised by Town and Parish Councils and churches across the borough.
The trail will be launched at Wokingham Town Hall on Heritage Day Sunday September 14th 2014.
- Any age
- 1 September 2014 — 1 September 2015 *on now
Wokingham Borough Libraries offer a number of reminiscence boxes containing items from social history from 1940's through to 1970's. These have been found to positively help trigger memories and facilitate discussions through handling and talking about the objects inside.
As part of our WWI recognition, two boxes are being created specifically on this era. These can be booked to borrow. In addition, throughout September, a display will be exhibited at Woodley Library of other related items that are too valuable to go into the boxes.
Reminiscence Clubs meet at Wokingham Library on the first Thursday of the month at 10.30am and there are also clubs at Woodley and Twyford Libraries
Wokingham Borough Libraries
c/o Wokingham Library
Bookings for boxes can be arranged by contacting Woodley Library on 0118 969 0304 or Woodley.email@example.com