Pittencrieff Park, or 'The Glen' as it is more commonly known as by local people, is one of Scotland’s most important urban parks and an extremely popular facility. It is of huge historical and cultural significance to Dunfermline, West Fife and beyond.
The Park was purchased in 1902 by the town’s most famous son, Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish-born American industrialist and philanthropist, and gifted to the people of Dunfermline in a ceremony the following year.
This 76-acre park, has a range of interesting features including a statue of Carnegie, Pittencrieff House Museum, the Glen Pavilion, formal gardens and woodland walks. It is also home to the remains of Malcolm Canmore’s Tower, thought to date back to the 11th century when it was the royal residence of Malcolm and his queen, Margaret. The park is also well known for its resident peacocks.
The Park can be entered from several entrances, the most impressive being the Louise Carnegie Gates at the bottom of Dunfermline High Street. Named after Andrew Carnegie’s wife, the gates were erected in 1929 and were refurbished in 2000. Other entrances are from Pittencrieff Street, Nethertown Broad Street, St Catherine’s Wynd as well as Moodie Street and St Margaret’s Street both of which lead to the scenic walk along the Tower Burn in the lowest part of the Park.
Pittencrieff Park plays host to many events throughout the year and is popular with people of all ages.
Garden, parklands or rural site
Open all year