The Suffolk Regiment Museum

Suffolk Regiment cap badge

The Suffolk Regiment Museum was established, in the Officers Mess, for the 250th Anniversary of the Regiment in 1935. The first acquisitions were items which belonged to even older collections of badges, medals and uniform items which had been displayed in the Mess since before The Great War.

Throughout the 1940s and 1950s the Museum was a working museum in which Suffolk Regiment recruits would go to learn the history of their Regiment. In 1968 the Museum moved to its current location in The Keep.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

Open: 9.30am - 3.30pm on the FIRST and THIRD Wednesday each month and on the FIRST Sunday each month.

Admission charges

Entry is free but the Museum is always pleased to accept donations.

Getting there

The museum is located on Newmarket Road (A1302), the road leading from the A14 (first exit eastbound/third exit westbound for Bury St Edmunds) into Bury town centre.

Events details are listed below. You may need to scroll down or click on headers to see them all. For events that don't have a specific date see the 'Resources' tab above.
Heritage Open Days

Heritage Open Days: Suffolk Regiment Museum

  • 10 — 11 September 2016

The Keep, built in 1878 is the only surviving building from the former Suffolk Regiment Depot. The building, which was formerly the Armoury and Quartermaster's Stores, now houses the award-winning Suffolk Regiment Museum.
Weather permitting, there will be a rare opportunity to admire the view of Bury from the roof of the Keep.

Suitable for

  • Any age

Website

http://www.heritageopendays.org.uk/directory/suffolk-regiment-museum1

Getting there

The museum is located on Newmarket Road (A1302), the road leading from the A14 (first exit eastbound/third exit westbound for Bury St Edmunds) into Bury town centre.

The Suffolk Regiment Museum
The Keep
Gibraltar Barracks
Newmarket Road
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP33 3RN
England

Website

www.suffolkregimentmuseum.co.uk/

E-mail

suffolkregimentmuseum@gmail.com

Telephone

01284 752394

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
advertisement