Broxbourne Borough Council
Broxbourne Borough Council is a district council in south-east Hertfordshire located along the A10 and the River Lea. Our cultural offer includes Lowewood Museum in Hoddesdon, The Spotlight (theatre), a large number of parks and open spaces in which a range of activities and project take place, events in town centres, and arts development projects with the local community including music and art projects for young people, intergenerational initiatives. As host to the London 2012 canoe slalom event, Broxbourne was very active in the Cultural Olympiad and will be commemorating the 100th anniversary of World War One.
Association or society, Museum
Dependent on activity.
Dependent on activity - majority of our activities are free or low-cost.
Stephen Warner: One Man's Journey Through War
- 19 May — 22 September 2018 *on now
Lowewood museum’s First World War exhibition: “Stephen Warner: One Man’s Journey through War” will be open to the public from Saturday 19th May.
Stephen Warner, the great grandson of John Warner of Hoddesdon, kept a day-by-day account of his journey through the First World War. These diaries, which are part of Lowewood Museum’s collection, provide an insight into an individual’s experience of the First World War. For the first time these diaries are being shared online, published monthly on the museum’s blog site www.lowewoodmuseum.com, 100 years after they were written.
The Museum has successfully worked with pupils from the John Warner School to create several short films which will be on display in the museum. These and the digitised Stephen Warner diaries will be accessible on the website.
From 19 May 2018, there will be an exhibition themed around Stephen Warner's diaries.
Objects for display have already been located including loans from the Museum of Military Medicine, Essex Regiment Museum and the Royal Gunpowder Mills.
The event schedule is:
• Saturday 19 May 2018 – Saturday 27 September 2018: ‘Stephen Warner One Man’s Journey through War’, Exhibition open to the public
• Saturday 19 May 2018, 6pm-9pm: ‘Pack up your Troubles’, A wartime entertainment experience (late night opening themed on wartime concerts with dancing, music and refreshments)
• Saturday 26 May, 11am-4pm: Digging Deeper: Stephen Warner Exhibition Launch day (day of activities all associated with events that Stephen describes in his diaries such as poppy making craft, fake-wound / make-up and talks by a re-enactor)
• Saturday 11 August, 11am-4pm: Family Fun Day (family fun inspired by the First World War exhibition, with postcard decorations, pavement art and more)
• Thursday 16 August, 12pm-3pm: Medal Making (a drop-in activity)
• Friday 14 September, 10am – 3pm: Conference (AM lectures/talks in the Spotlight, Lunch around 12.30 – 13.00, followed by a tour round the exhibition/museum and object handling session
- Any age
Phone 01992 445596 or visit https://www.broxbourne.gov.uk/leisure-lowewood-museum-town-centres-hoddesdon/exhibitions
Services and facilities
Broxbourne Borough Council