Langwith Whaley Thorns Heritage Centre
Following a major refurbishment of the Methodist Chapel, the Langwith Whaley Thorns Heritage Centre is open to the public.
A focal point of the village, the Heritage Centre tells the story of the area. From the agricultural beginnings and the dramatic impact of industrialisation, to the consequences of the colliery closure in 1978. The Heritage Centre tells how the local history has helped shaped lives today.
The Heritage Centre is run by the Langwith Whaley Thorns Heritage Association; and they offer a friendly welcome to visitors wishing to learn more about this locality.
Museum, Industrial heritage site
Wed Sat Sun
All other times by appointment.
Closed: Christmas & New Year
The John Hyatt Collection represents the life and history of the Langwith and Whaley Thorns citizens. It reflects the impact of the sinking of a coal mine in 1876 upon a rural farming community and provides a snapshot of a period of great social upheaval.
There is also a strong local photographic collection.
Currently the collection is being audited but access to objects not part of the existing exhibitions can be arranged through the curator.
Agriculture, Industry, Photography, Social History