One of the largest medieval fortresses in Britain, begun in 1268 by the Anglo-Norman marcher lord, Gilbert de Clare. Concentrically planned, the rings of stone and water defences are formidable even today. Famous for its 'leaning tower'. Impressive great hall, now used for various functions.
Castle or defences
March to June: 9:30am - 5pm. July & August: 9:30am - 6pm. September & October: 9:30am - 5pm. November to February, Mon - Sat: 10am - 4pm. Sun: 11am - 4pm
Pay-and-display parking nearby, toilets, guidebook available, gift shop, two site exhibitions, audio-visual display and replica medieval siege weapons. Audio tour. Baby changing facilities.
Vale of Glamorgan