Devenish Monastic Site

Devenish Monastic Site
Lower Lough Erne, near Enniskillen
Co. Fermanagh
no postcode
Northern Ireland

Website

www.ehsni.gov.uk/places/monuments/devenish.shtml

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Guided tours icon

The most important of Lough Erne's many island church settlements, Devenish was founded in the 6th century by St Molaise.

It was raided by Vikings in 837 and burned in 1157, but in the Middle Ages flourished as the site of the parish church and St Mary's Augustinian Priory. There are extensive low earthworks on the hillside, but the earliest buildings are St Molaise's House (a very small church) and the fine round tower close by, both with accomplished Romanesque decoration of the 12th century.

Teampull Mór, the lower church, dates from the early 13th century with a beautifully moulded south window. It was extended to the east in about 1300, and later additions include a residential wing to the north and the Maguire Chapel to the south, with 17th-century heraldic slabs. St Mary's Augustinian Priory on the hilltop is of the mid 15th and early 16th centuries, with church, tower and small north cloister. In its graveyard stands an unusual, intricately-carved cross of the mid 15th century.

There are several hundred loose architectural fragments on the site and among them are more than 40 stones from an otherwise lost, richly-decorated Romanesque church. Some of the many loose stones are displayed and set in their historical context in the small visitor centre.

Venue Type:

Sacred space

Opening hours

1st April - 30th Sept:
Open every day 10am to 6pm

Admission charges

There is a charge for use of ferry, opening of the museum and toilets.
Admission: Adult - £2.25, Ch/OAP - £1.20

Additional info

Island site at the South end of Lower Lough Erne, 1½ miles (2.4 km) downstream from Enniskillen. An EHS ferry* runs from Trory Point, reached along the lane to the lough shore (carpark) from the junction of the B82 to Kesh with the A32 to Ballinamallard. Cruisers also run from Enniskillen.

*EHS Ferry starts Good Friday to mid September

advertisement