Museum nan Eilean

Museum nan Eilean
Francis Street
Stornoway
Isle of Lewis
HS1 2NF
Scotland

Website

www.cne-siar.gov.uk//museum/index.asp

E-mail

museum@cne-siar.gov.uk

Telephone

01851 822746

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Exterior of a grey stone building with a sign reading Museum nan Eilean

Museum nan Eilean was established in 1983 by Comhairle nan Eilean, the Western Isles Islands Council, as it was then, to provide the first professional museum service for the Western Isles. Its Stornoway museum opened in 1984 in accommodation in the Town Hall.

In 1995, it moved into its present home, following an extensive programme of works to convert the building into a museum. This building originally served as the Secondary Department of the Nicolson Institute and first opened its doors to pupils in 1898.

The museum holds collections of objects, photographs, prints and paintings and archives illustrating the archaeology, social, domestic and economic history of the islands.

We are in the middle of an exciting HLF funded project to transform and relocate the Museum and Archive service. The exhibition galleries are currently closed to the public while staff work on preparing the new exhibitions and we will re-open in 2015 as part of the newly refurbished Lews Castle. Staff are still available to provide learning activities and to answer enquiries.

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

The exhibition galleries are closed to the public until 2015 while we work on the new exhibitions. Please e-mail or phone if you have any enquiries.

Admission charges

Free

advertisement