Elsham Wolds Airfield
Anglian Water Authority
Royal Air Force Elsham Wolds was situated on the Lincolnshire Wolds north of Barnetby le Wold in North Lincolnshire.
During World War 1 the site was part of the Fighter Defence Chain and home to C Flight of 33 Squadron.
During World War 2 it was the home of 103 Squadron and 576 Sq RAF Bomber Command. 100 Squadron operated from Elsham Wolds for a short time at the end of the war. In 1946 a No 21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit of Transport Command took over the base for a year.
It was then closed in 1947 and reverted to agricultural use. In later years part of the site has been put to light industrial and warehouse use. There is also a large water treatment works on one corner of the site.
The RAF Elsham Wolds Association was formed in the late 70s by veterans who flew from or served at Elsham Wolds and has been in being in various incarnations ever since. The Association is also open to former members of 103 Squadron or 576 Squadron wherever and whenever they served. In addition next of kin of any who fall into the above categories are welcome to join and now form a good proportion of our members. Their membership is welcomed and valued as it helps up to keep the memory alive and continue our work.
Heritage site, Transport heritage site
Open by appointment only
Free, but access must be booked in advance