Chester History and Heritage
Chester History & Heritage is a local & family history resource centre sited in the heart of Chester. We offer free internet access via the popular People's Network and operate a family history advice service provided by research group experts - again - free to all customers. Our main collection comprises photographs of Chester district - those on our imagebank can be accessioned online but we also have thousands of images of Chester from the past 50 years which can be used by local residents and visitors.
We have a rolling programme of exhibitions and events, produce a thrice yearly newsletter, hold microfiche and microfilm sources for Chester including newspapers, electoral rolls and parish registers, and offer various film showings of Chester's past.
Archive, Heritage site, Sacred space
Monday-Friday 10 - 12 & 1-4.00pm
Closed 24 Dec - 3rd Jan inclusive
Access: Due to the historic nature of St Michael's church there is, unfortunately, no access for wheelchair users. However, if notified in advance it will be possible to make other arrangements to see material that we hold. If you cannot visit us in person, we will be pleased to carry out research on your behalf through the Postal Enquiry Service.
We have a variety of family and local history sources to help you in your search:
* General Register Office Index for England and Wales, 1837-1949 (The Civil Registration Index of Births, Deaths and * Marriages on microfiche) - £1 per hour charge
* Census for Chester District, 1841 1901 (on microfiche and microfilm)
* 1881 census for UK (on CD Rom)
* Also on CD Rom: Ormerod, 1851 census for Cheshire, Holy Trinity Church Chester Parish Registers, Betram Merrall Marriage Index and the National Burial Index
* Electoral Registers for Chester (on microfiche)
* International Genealogical Index for Cheshire and surrounding counties (on microfiche)
* Parish Registers for Chester City parishes (on microfilm)
* Local newspapers (cuttings, full papers on microfilm)
* Map collection
* Local Studies Library
* Chester Archaeological Society Library
* Chester Image Bank
* Chester Photographic Survey here - street by street documentation of Chester District from 1960s onwards
Let us help you find out more about Chester, or about your family's past click on one of the menu options, or email us with your own particular query.
Archives, Social History, Photography
Yesterday's Chester; How we lived, played and worked
- 18 January 2017 2-3:30pm *on now
Take a look at Chester through the 20th Century. Chester Memories shows trams, buses and steam trains alongside people and familiar streets as well as a nostalgic look round the city in 1976. We are also showing the innovative 1975 Donald Insall production of the Conservation Game, which shows the many changes that were taking place in the city at that time.
Free of charge but booking essential as places limited. Please telephone 01244 972210.
Chester History and Heritage
St Michael's Church
Bridge Street Row
Main number for Chester History & Heritage