The ruins of Balmerino Abbey are a fine example of a 13th century Cistercian monastery, which became a dwelling house of the lords Balmerino after secularisation in 1603.
Within the wooded area of the grounds the heritage Spanish Chestnut (Castina Sativa) can be found, which is known to be over 450 years old
Connected with the Abbey are historical figures such as William the Lion, Mary of Guise, Mary Queen of Scots and even Bonnie Prince Charlie
Architectural features include Norman arches and Barrel vaults
Founded by Queen Ermengarde in 1229, the site was known as a place of healing and still retains a calm, serene atmosphere
The Abbey is situated in the award winning hamlet of Balmerino Village where examples of medieval farm buildings can be seen
Donation box with a suggested entry of £1 for adults and 50p for children.
Wheelchair access is by the side entrance, through the memorial cottages. Wheelchairs can move round most parts of the Abbey.