The Salmon House was purpose built in 1834 by the Seafield Estate, which then owned the salmon fishing rights along the coast. The three story building provided an office, a bothy, an ice house, a fish preparation area, workshop and storage accommodation.
The stake-net salmon fishing began at a Station near to the mouth of the Burn of the Boyne as early as 1828. Bag-net fishing was also carried out. Abundant supplies of ice were obtained originally from Loch Soy and the Millpond and brought in by horse and cart.
The Salmon House continued in use until 1990, when salmon netting was stopped at the Portsoy Station. Salmon fishing therefore played a major part in the history of fishing in our area. (Extracts from Findlay Pirie's "History of Salmon Fishing")
Today the Salmon Bothy is owned and run by the Scottish Traditional Boat Festival. It comprises a museum housed in what were the ice chambers which displays artifacts and information about Portsoy's harbours, the industry and trade and the Salmon Fishing operations.
Museum, Industrial heritage site
Links Road, Portsoy