Hertfordshire Fire Museum
Lower High Street
The museum is based in a purpose-built building at the new Fire Station, Lower High Street, Watford, opened in November 2009.
We have a substantial collection of various items of fire service equipment, uniform and documents, old and new, along with a large and varied photographic display of fire appliances, fire/incident scenes and local fire history.
We are always on the lookout for Fire Brigade memorabilia that deserves a good home and is perhaps currently gathering dust in a shed or attic.
Wed 9.30-11.30am (maintenance days with very limited viewing).
There is also a series of Open Days on Saturdays, when the museum will be open between 13.00-16.00: please contact us for more information.
Free admission, but donations are welcome as the Museum is run on a voluntary basis by ex-firefighters.
In addition to the larger items listed below, there is also a substantial collection of various items of fire service equipment/uniform/documents (old and new), with a large and varied photographic display of fire appliances, fire/incident scenes and local fire history.
Social History, Land Transport, Archives
Key artists and exhibits
- 1850s manual hand pump from Barley near Royston
- 1863 manual hand pump from the Tring Park Estate
- 1896 Shand-Mason horse-drawn steam fire pump, ex-London Fire Brigade
- 1900s Hose Cart - on loan from Watford Museum
- 1937 Leyland open-bodied Pump Escape, based at St Albans until the 1960s
- 1942 Dennis No.2 Trailer Pump, from Berkhamstead
- WW2 Scammell wheelbarrow pump
- Fire service uniforms and equipment
- Merryweather 50ft (15m) steel escape ladder from a 1984 Dennis Water Tender Escape