Arts and Heritage Development Manager, Cultural Community Partnerships
Arts and Heritage Development Manager
Chichele College is an evocative mediaeval building situated in the centre of Higham Ferrers. The College was founded in the 15th century by Henry Chichele, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1414 to 1443. The College was built around a quadrangle and housed twenty members, consisting of eight chaplains, four clerks, six choristers and a song and grammar master.
Henry VIII dissolved the College and the buildings were in ruins by the 18th century.
The main surviving fragment of the fabric is the gabled front with its Tudor door and windows with square wood moulding. Above the door are empty niches which once held statues of the patron saints of the College.
Chichele College is managed by Cultural.Community.Partnerships. for English Heritage and the Duchy of Lancaster, which hosts a programme of cultural activities during the months of March to October.
Historic house or home
All year, every day, any reasonable time.
Quadrangle open at any reasonable time.
For the chapel, contact the keykeeper: Mrs D Holyoak, 12 Lancaster St, Higham Ferrers or phone: 01933 314157.
Heritage and Arts exhibition programme, workshops and events from March to October