Grays Court

Grays Court
Chapter House Street
York
North Yorkshire
YO1 7JH
England

Website

E-mail

enquiries@grayscourtyork.com

Telephone

01904 612613

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.

Grays Court is possibly the oldest continuously occupied house in the country. Dating back in part to 1080 and commissioned by the first Norman Archbishop of York to provide the official residence for the Treasurers of York Minster, the house has an unrivalled history.

The Sterne Room was built above the original Medieval Magnesian Limestone wall (which can still be seen) by Jaques Sterne, Precentor and Canon Residentiary of the Minster and uncle of Laurence Sterne, author of First Tristram Shandy, when he owned the house. The marble plaque on the fireplace is of Augusta, wife of Frederick Prince of Wales, and mother of George III.

The medieval wall of the original Treasurers House can be seen behind the oak panelling of the Long Gallery. The columns of the Lower Gallery are believed to have been reused from elsewhere, possibly Roman, before being installed at Grays Court to form a cloister in the 11th century. The Jacobean Long Gallery was built above the lower gallery by the son of Archbishop Young between 1588-1620 when he lived at Grays Court.

There have been numerous reported sitings of ghosts at Grays Court.

Venue Type:

Historic house or home

Opening hours

Dependent on exhibitions and events, please contact the venue for more details.

Admission charges

Dependent on exhibitions and events, please contact the venue for more details.

advertisement