St John's Jerusalem (National Trust)
St John's Jerusalem
Ightham Mote, nearby
Tranquil garden and 13th-century chapel. The large garden, moated by the River Darent, contains some magnificent trees and herbaceous borders. The chapel was part of the former Commandery of the Knights Hospitallers of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, established here in 1199, of which the remainder was converted into a private residence. Occupied as a private residence, maintained and managed by a tenant on the Trust’s behalf. Access is to the chapel and garden only.
Garden, parklands or rural site, Sacred space
£1, child 50p, family £2.25.
- National Trust