General enquiries (office hours)
Recorded Information (24 hours)
The Treasures of Goodwood: the best of England, Scotland and France. The Dukes of Richmond are the proud possessors of one of the finest and most representative of English art collections. Since the recent four year restoration by the Earl of March, son and heir to the present Duke, the walls are fully hung with both British and European paintings, and the rooms furnished with French and English furniture of the finest quality. The importance of the art collection of the Dukes of Richmond is further represented in the fact that Goodwood is one of a few great private houses to employ a full time curator. We welcome to the house visitors with a huge range of historical, artistic, and domestic interests, be it in kings and queens, marine paintings, women's lives, the Regency style, the Edwardian period, sporting art, landscape, the history of horseracing and the history of cricket. We hope to encourage your interests and to develop your enthusiasms.
Goodwood House is open most Sundays and Mondays from 22 March to 12 October. Open daily in August except Fridays and Saturdays. The opening times are 1-5pm, with the last admission at 4pm.
The House is closed to the public as a result of special events on the following dates: 3, 24 May; 28, 29 June; 5, 6 July; 20 September. Occasionally, the Trustees have to add extra dates for closures, so if you are travelling from a distance, always check with Recorded Information on +44 (0)1243 755040 before your visit.
Young People (12-18) & Students with a valid NUS card £4.00
Children (Under 12s) Free
Family Ticket (2 adults & up to 4 children under 18)£15.00
The House, tearoom and shop are fully accessible for wheel- chair users. Ramp access is available at the Front Entrance.
All rooms open to the public are situated on the ground floor and there are no stairs to negotiate.
An accessible lavatory is available in the State Rooms.
Information sheets are available in every room to provide details on works of art where labels are inaccessible to wheelchair users.
Disabled visitors driving themselves are welcome to park their vehicles on either side of the turning circle at the front of the House; alternatively, if they are not driving they may be dropped off and then collected at the Front Door. A manual wheel-chair is available for hire at no charge, but should be booked in advance.
This is a classic English collection, further invigorated by acquisitions from France and Scotland. Louise de Keroualle, the beautiful and aristocratic French mistress of King Charles II, had accumulated royal and family portraits, which her grandson the 2nd Duke complemented with Grand Tour purchases, culminating in the first English commissions given to Canaletto. He was also very involved in the new Palladian movement, building the breathtaking pavilion and Shell House, and commissioning fireplaces and chairs by William Kent, originally for Richmond House but now at Goodwood. The 3rd Duke not only added another layer of superb portraits, but also from his time as Ambassador to Paris, Gobelins tapestries and furniture by the greatest French 18th century cabinet makers; he commissioned a Sèvres dinner service, now shown in the delightful circular Card Room, while his racehorses were painted by George Stubbs. The 3rd Duke was the builder of the great Regency State Apartments, including the Egyptian Dining Room. These rooms were designed for entertaining and to this day are used for parties. Through marriage the Dukes of Richmond inherited the Gordon estates in Scotland and, in 1876, the 6th Duke of Richmond was created Duke of Gordon. Scottish items are on show in the Supper Room.
Architecture, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art
Key artists and exhibits
- Canaletto: Two Views of London
- George Stubbs: Three Sporting Scenes
- Napoleon's Chair
- Sèvres Porcelain
Dancing Into Battle: The Duchess of Richmond's Ball
- 3 August — 12 October 2015
On 15th June 1815, the Duchess of Richmond hosted a ball at her home in Brussels. The arrival of a messenger half-way through set in train a sequence of events that would culminate in the Battle of Waterloo three days later, thus making the ball arguably the most famous in history. Goodwood’s summer exhibition will celebrate the 200th anniversary of the ball.
The summer exhibition will tell the story of the Duchess of Richmond’s ball as well as exhibiting related treasures from the Goodwood Collection such as the Duchess’s handwritten guest list and Napoleon’s campaign chair and breakfast plate which were seized as trophies of war and given to the Duke and Duchess of Richmond. The painting featured above will also be on display at Goodwood House.
Opening times are 1.00 - 5.00 pm for all open days (last admission is 4pm). We can take groups on some Monday mornings but these must be booked far in advance via the Curators Assistant.
- Family friendly
Ticket prices are £9.50 for adults, 12 - 18 year olds £4 and under 12’s are free.