St Andrew's Parish Church

St Andrew's Parish Church
West Tarring
Worthing
West Sussex
BN14 7PF
England

Website

www.st-andrews-west-tarring.org.uk

E-mail

Rector: Fr Edward Jervis

rector@st-andrews-west-tarring.org.uk

Secretary of the Parochial Church Council

pcc@st-andrews-west-tarring.org.uk

Telephone

01903 235043

Fax

01903 218877

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Interior of a church

A 13th century church with a tower used as a signalling station to warn of the approaching Spanish armada.

Saint Andrew's Church is fortunate in having mosaic panels covering approximately 200 square metres of the north, west and south walls of the nave, depicting the twelve apostles, together with the heads of eight patriarchs from the Old Testament and the Apostles' Creed. This is said to be one of the finest and largest mosaics in the country. It was designed by the Victorian architect William Butterfield FSA (1814-1900) and constructed in 1885. It is believed to be based on mosaics he had seen at Ravenna. The mosaics were apparently intended to include a large panel above and around the arch to the sanctuary, which would have depicted Christ in Glory, flanked by Saint Peter and our patron Saint Andrew. This panel was not installed due to lack of funds, and the face of the arch is still painted white.

Venue Type:

Castle or defences, Sacred space

Collection details

Religion, Weapons and War

advertisement