NTS Information Centre
Glenfinnan Monument, set amid superb Highland scenery at the head of Loch Shiel, was erected in 1815 by Alexander Macdonald of Glenaladale in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of Prince Charles Edward Stuart. It was designed by the eminent Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham. The raising of the Prince’s Standard took place at the head of the loch on 19 August, 1745, in the last attempt to reinstate the exiled Stuarts on the throne of Great Britain and Ireland. Despite its inspired beginnings and subsequent successes, the Prince’s campaign came to its grim conclusion in 1746 on the battlefield at Culloden (see separate entry), also in the care of the Trust. In the Visitor Centre are displays and an audio programme about the Prince’s campaign from Glenfinnan to Derby and back to the final defeat at Culloden. Handed over to the care of the Trust in 1938 by Sir Walter Blount, proprietor, on behalf of himself, the trustees of Glenaladale Estates and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Argyll and the Isles. A conservation agreement protecting 11 ha (27 a) surrounding the monument was made by Mr A MacKellaig.
Heritage site, Architecture centre, Garden, parklands or rural site
Site, all year, daily.
Visitor Centre, shop and snack-bar, 1 Apr to 30 Jun and 1 Sep to 31 Oct, daily 10-5; 1 Jul to 31 Aug, daily 9.30-5.30.
Architecture, Weapons and War
Key artists and exhibits
- Prince Charles Edward Stuart - Bonnie Prince Charlie
- Battle of Culloden
- Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham
- Sir Walter Blount