Carew Manor Dovecote

Carew Manor Dovecote
Church Road
Beddington
Greater London
SM6 7NH
England

Website

www.sutton.gov.uk

E-mail

Museum & Historic Houses Officer

valary.murphy@sutton.gov.uk

Telephone

All enquiries and booking tickets

020 8770 4781

Fax

All enquiries and booking tickets

020 8770 4777

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
The interior, showing the potence
Guided tours icon Shop icon

There has been a dovecote at Carew Manor from late medieval times which stood in Pigeon House Meadow, to the east of the present site. It was probably demolished and replaced by the existing large octagonal brick building between 1707 and 1727, when the first Baronet, Sir Nicholas Carew, reorganised the grounds around the house. It originally contained about 1360 nesting boxes built into the inner face of the wall, giving it a complex honeycomb-like structure. The large rotating ladder or potence used by the keepers to raided the nesting boxes for eggs and young birds ('squabs') is still in situ.
Our tours start at the Dovecote and take in the Grade I listed Great Hall of Carew Manor as well as the 18th century Orangery wall.

Venue Type:

Historic house or home, Heritage site

Opening hours

For 2014

Two tours on each open day: at 2pm and 3.30pm.
Sunday 18 May
Sunday 22 June
Sunday 14 September
Sunday 12 October

Closed: Outside opening hours listed above.
Special arrangements may be made for pre-booked groups during school holidays.

Admission charges

Tickets for tour: £5.00 Adults; £2.50 Children

Discounts

  • International Council of Museums
  • Museums Association
Getting there

Buses: 407, 410, 463, X26
Nearest rail station: Wallington, then bus 410 or 463; or Waddon, then 407 / 410.
Parking available in Carew Manor School grounds.

Inside is a Roman Coffin on the ground floor which was found in the 1930s when a pipe trench was dug on the east side of Church Road just south of the churchyard. It is made of non-local limestone and dates from the 3rd or 4th century AD.

Tours of the Dovecote include a visit to Carew Manor Great Hall, with its late medieval arch-braced hammer-beam roof, listed Grade 1; and a tour of the Manor's cellars with a visible chalk and flint construction dating to earlier houses on this site.

Collection details

Architecture, Social History

Key artists and exhibits

  • Dovecote
  • Roman Coffin

Getting there

Buses: 407, 410, 463, X26
Nearest rail station: Wallington, then bus 410 or 463; or Waddon, then 407 / 410.
Parking available in Carew Manor School grounds.

advertisement