Turner House Gallery

Turner House Gallery
Plymouth Road
Penarth
Cardiff
CF64 3DM
Wales

Website

www.ffotogallery.org/

E-mail

turnerhouse@ffotogallery.org

Telephone

01223 708870

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.

Ffotogallery's exhibition programme and gallery based educational activities take place at Turner House.

James Pyke Thompson, a wealthy Penarth resident conceived the idea of building Turner House Gallery, so named in homage to the painter, in 1888.

Quite the philanthropist, Thompson used the gallery to further one of his social concerns; that the public should be able to view the contents of museums and galleries on the one day, Sunday, when they could be seen by the largest number of people. The Turner House thus became known as 'The Sunday Gallery'.

Originally the gallery was housed on the first floor of the building with the downstairs area being used for the custodian's accommodation. The gallery opened in June 1888 with the show consisting of work from Thompson's private collection. This included paintings by J.M.W Turner and Dante Gabriel Rossetti as well as some examples of porcelain.

Thompson continued to make acquisitions to his collection until his death in 1897. Without his support and enthusiasm however the gallery gradually lost the public's interest and attendance figures dwindled. In 1921 the Trustee's decided to hand over Turner House and its contents to the National Museum of Wales. It was decided that Turner House would exhibit works from the National Museum's reserve collection and temporary exhibitions. In 2003, Ffotogallery took over responsibility for programming and administering at Turner House.

Venue Type:

Gallery

Opening hours

Tuesday – Saturday 11am – 5pm (except for exhibition changeover times)

Admission charges

Free

advertisement