Glasgow Museums Resource Centre
200 Woodhead Road,
South Nitshill Industrial Estate
Springburn Local History Centre
Greater Pollok Kist Community Museum
0141 276 9300
0141 276 9305
Glasgow Museums Resource Centre is the first publicly accessible store for the city’s museum service. It is a new purpose-built museum storage facility and visitor centre in the south side of Glasgow.
The new facility includes 6,000 square metres of environmentally controlled storage space, housing collections ranging from fine art to botanical specimens.
The building houses collections which were previously on display and in storage at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and the Gallery of Modern Art.
The building houses Kelvingrove’s collections while it is being refurbished, and will continue to hold the reserve collection when it reopens.
Glasgow Museums Resource Centre also houses the outreach service for Glasgow Museums which offers handling and reminiscence kits for loan, and temporary exhibits for display. It also works in partnership with groups throughout the city to create community museums. For more information, contact 0141 276 9376.
The Glasgow Museums Resource Centre is not just a storage facility. It offers a variety of ways for the public to see Glasgow’s collections.
At the Glasgow Museums Resource Centre you can:
· Take a guided tour around the store - you can enjoy a free guided tour of some of the 200,000 objects on display every day, seven days a week. Tours leave at 2.30pm from reception.
· Organise a tailor-made tour that meet the needs and interest of your group. Contact Education and Access on 0141 276 9375 for more information.
· Get involved in the formal and informal learning programmes - school, university and lifelong learners can visit the centre and take part in workshops and activities that compliment the collections. Contact Education and Access on 0141 276 9375 for more information.
· Use a variety of research facilities - you can make an appointment to view an object or artwork up close. The Research Collection and the reference library are available for private research. This service is available to all. Contact 0141 276 9300 for more information.
· Be creative! Every Sunday from 11am until 1pm, come along to the craft club for activities inspired by our collections.
Monday - Thurday & Saturday: 10.00-17.00
Friday & Sunday: 11.00-17.00
Closed: 25 & 26 December
1 & 2 January
Archaeology, Architecture, Archives, Coins and Medals, Costume and Textiles, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art, Literature, Music, Natural Sciences, Photography, Religion, Science and Technology, Social History, Weapons and War, World Cultures