The Faringdon Collection
Buscot Park was built by Edward Loveden Loveden between 1779 and 1783. The house is a dignified example of the late eighteenth-century taste for Italianate country houses, inspired by the architecture of the great Renaissance architect, Andrea Palladio. A subsequent owner, Robert Tertius Campbell, died bankrupt in 1887, having spent his large fortune on turning Buscot into a model agricultural estate. Buscot was then sold to Alexander Henderson, later the 1st Lord Faringdon, a city financier of exceptional ability. With catholic tastes in art, he bought paintings by Rembrandt, Murillo, Reynolds and Burne-Jones, establishing a solid core to the Faringdon Collection. Gavin Henderson, the 1st Lord Faringdon’s grandson and heir, was also an enthusiastic collector of pictures, and he added the bulk of the pictures to be seen at Buscot today. He also remodelled the house by removing the heavy Victorian additions that had compromised the original design, as well as building the two balancing pavilions that stand to the east and west of the house. In 1956 the Buscot Park estate was bequeathed to the National Trust, and the contents of the house were subsequently transferred to the Trustees of the Faringdon Collection. The present Lord Faringdon lives at Buscot Park, administering the house and grounds on behalf of the National Trust. He continues to acquire new works by contemporary artists to enhance the Faringdon Collection.
Historic house or home
The Faringdon Collection at Buscot Park: Please see website for details of which days we are open. Opening times: 2pm - 6pm. Last entry to House 5.30 pm
The Faringdon Collection in London: may be viewed on any Tuesday or Thursday (2pm to 5.30pm). Due to size constraints, the property can accomodate only up to 12 visitors at any one time, and visits can only be arranged by prior appointment made with the Estate Office at Buscot (tel 01367 240786).
The Faringdon Collection at Buscot Park:
House & Grounds £5.00 / Grounds only £4.00
Children half price / National Trust Members Free
The Faringdon Collection in London:
£3.00 per person, minimum charge £15.00.
- National Trust
We regret that visitor access for those confined to wheelchairs is limited because of the steep gradients and gravel paths in the garden. At the house, there are also steep steps to the piano nobile, and the first floor is only accessible by staircase.
A powered mobility vehicle and a hand-pushed wheelchair are available, by prior booking only.
There are specially equipped lavatory facilities.
The Tea Room has access by ramp.
Disabled visitors may drive their car to the main House and park there, having first reported to the Ticket Office for directions.
The Faringdon Collection, which can be viewed at Buscot Park in Oxfordshire and our London property, is the result of a century of collecting works of art by the Lords Faringdon. It includes paintings by Rembrandt, Reynolds, Rubens, van Dyck and Murillo, and there is a small but important collection of drawings. British art, especially of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, is particularly well represented in the Collection, with some outstanding works by the Pre-Raphaelite artists Burne-Jones and Rossetti, and the present Lord Faringdon continues to acquire new works by contemporary artists.
Architecture, Decorative and Applied Art, Fine Art
Key artists and exhibits
- Rembrandt, Reynolds, Rubens, van Dyck and Murillo
- Burne-Jones and Rossetti
The Faringdon Collection