0131 225 9846
This most famous of Scottish castles has a complex building history. The oldest part, St Margaret’s Chapel, dates from the 12th century; the Great Hall was erected by James IV around 1510; the Half Moon Battery by the Regent Morton in the late 16th century; and the Scottish National War Memorial after the First World War.
Castle or defences
1st April To October 31st:
9.30am Until 6pm, Last Admission 5.15pm.
1st November To March 31st:
9.30am Until 5pm, Last Admission 4.15pm. Closed Christmas Day And Boxing Day, 1st January Open 11am Until 5pm.
Please note: Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Historic Scotland
In addition to guided tours provided by the castle stewards, there is an audio guide tour available in six languages. The audio tour takes the visitor on a tour around the castle, explains its architecture, and tells its dramatic history. This guide is available in English, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Japanese and German. The charge for Adults is £3.00, Concessions £2.00, Children £1.00.
A courtesy vehicle (provided by the Bank of Scotland) can take visitors with a disability to the top of the castle. Ramps and a lift give access to the Crown Jewels, Stone of Destiny and associated exhibition; and ramps provide access to the war memorial. For those with impaired vision, there is a free Braille guide and hands-on models of the Crown Jewels with Braille texts.
Parking is restricted from June to October for the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
The castle houses the Honours (Crown Jewels) of Scotland, the Stone of Destiny, the famous 15th-century gun Mons Meg, the One o’ Clock Gun and the National War Museum of Scotland.
Weapons and War
Key artists and exhibits
- The Honours (Crown Jewels) of Scotland
- The Stone of Destiny
- Mons Meg
- The One o’ Clock Gun
- The National War Museum of Scotland