General Enquiries and Ticket Info
020 7766 7303
Ticket Sales and Info about access
020 7766 7324
Clarence House, which stands beside St James's Palace, was built between 1825 and 1827 to the designs of John Nash for Prince William Henry, Duke of Clarence, who resided there as King William IV from 1830 until 1837. During its history, the house has been altered, reflecting the changes in occupancy over nearly two centuries.
Clarence House is The Prince of Wales' official London residence and is open to the public from 6 August to 17 October 2003. It was the London home of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother from 1953 until 2002 and was also the home of The Prince of Wales between the ages of one and three, when Her Majesty The Queen, then Princess Elizabeth, and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh moved there following their marriage in 1947.
Historic house or home
August 6 - October 17, 2003:
Daily - 09:00-19:00 (last admission 18:00)
Admission by guided tour. All tickets are timed and must be pre-booked.
The guided tours will start promptly at the time stated on your ticket. Please note that late-comers cannot be admitted.
As Clarence House is a working royal residence, opening arrangements may be subject to change at short notice.
Under 17: £3.00
Under 5: Free
The arrangement of the rooms and the grouping of their contents remain recognisably as they were in Queen Elizabeth's time, with much of Her Majesty's collection of works of art and furniture in their former positions.
Queen Elizabeth brought together a collection strong in 20th-century British art, embracing important works by John Piper, Graham Sutherland, WS Sickert and Augustus John. She also acquired superb examples of Fabergé, English porcelain and silver, particularly pieces relating to the Bowes-Lyon family.
Architecture, Design, Fine Art, Personalities
Key artists and exhibits
- John Piper
- Graham Sutherland
- WS Sickert
- Augustus John
- English porcelain and silver
- Bowes-Lyon family history