Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre

Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre
Westmoor Farm
Nr Metheringham
Lincolnshire
LN4 3BQ
England

Website

www.metheringhamairfield.org

E-mail

Information

foma@btinternet.com

jeffrey.williams@hotmail.co.uk

Telephone

01526 378604

Fax

01526 378604

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Avro Lancaster BI the RAF's primary heavy bomber in WW2
baby changing facilities icon Shop icon Hearing disability facilities icon Wheelchair access icon

During 1942, around 600 acres of farmland and woods were cleared to create a new airfield for 5 Group, Bomber Command. Situated between the villages of Metheringham and Martin, the airfield opened in October 1943. Although far from complete, it was soon home to 106 Squadron. Despite having only a week to settle in, the Squadron was operational in time for the opening of the Battle of Berlin, and RAF Metheringham went to war on 18th November 1943. The war in Europe was over 22 months later, and having flown over 200 operations and suffering losses of 59 Lancasters which failed to return from operations, the Squadron then prepared to depart for the war in the Far East as part of 'Tiger Force'. With the end of the war in the Far East in September 1945, the Squadron disbanded some 6 months later. Of no further use to the RAF, the airfield was closed in the spring of 1946 and once again returned to agriculture.

Venue Type:

Museum, Heritage site

Opening hours

Easter To October:
Wednesdays 11.00am - 4.00pm
Saturdays, Sundays & Bank Holidays
11.00am - 5.00pm

Admission charges

Admission to the visitor centre is free.

Additional info

The Visitor Centre is situated at Westmoor Farm, two and a half miles from the village of Metheringham on the B1189, directly opposite the B1191 turning to Martin and Woodhall Spa.

Today, there are still signs of this once active airfield. On the Communual Site, where many original buildings remain, the former ration store has been restored and now houses a fascinating exhibition of photographs and memorabilia recalling life on an operational Second World War airfield.
Close by are the remains of the concrete runways and perimeter tracks, and the recently erected memorial to 106 Squadron.

Collection details

Aviation, Weapons and War

advertisement