de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre - incorporating the Mosquito Aircraft Museum

de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre - incorporating the Mosquito Aircraft Museum
de Havilland Aircraft Heritage Centre
Salisbury Hall
London Colney
Hertfordshire
AL2 1BU
England

Website

www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk

E-mail

museum@dehavillandmuseum.co.uk

Telephone

Information

01727 822051

Aeroshop / Fax / Answer machine

01727 826400

Ralph Steiner : Groups and Guided Tours by prior arrangement

020-8954-5080

Fax

01727 826400

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
Aerial image of the deHavilland Aircraft Heritage Centre
Food icon Shop icon Library icon Wheelchair access icon

The site of the Hall and the Museum is, without doubt, a very old one. It is close to the first century BC settlement of Wheathamstead, the major Roman town of Verulamium and St. Albans which is of late Saxon foundation. Early notable (but unwelcome!) visitors to the area were probably Julius Ceaser in 54BC, and Boadicea of the Iceni in 61AD. During the early 9th century the site was part of the Manor of Shenleybury. It was held by Asgar the Stallar, who was probably a high official to the Wessex King Egbert. After the Norman Conquest the Manor passed to the de Mandeville family who held it when the Doomsday Book was written in 1086. In 1380 the Hall passed in marriage to Sir John Montague, later Earl of Salisbury. It is perhaps at this time that the Manor acquired its now familiar name of Salisbury Hall. About 1420 Alice, Countess of Salisbury, married Sir Richard Neville, who became Earl of Warwick. He had two sons, Richard Neville (better known as Warwick the Kingmaker) and John, Marquis of Montagu, who were both killed at the Battle of Barnet in April 1471. A new house was built about 1507 by Sir John Cutte, Treasurer to King Henry VII and Henry VIII. The house was purchased in 1668 by James Hoare, a London banker. At this time the present house was built, bringing with it associations with Charles II and Nell Gwynne, who lived in a cottage by the bridge to the Hall. Her ghost is one that is said to have been seen in the Hall. The Hall passed to Sir Jeremy Snow's nephew, John Snell, and from then through various hands, and during the latter part of the 19th century was occupied by a succession of farmers. However, about 1905 Lady Randolph Churchill, as Mrs. Cornwallis West, came here to live. Her son, Winston Churchill, became a regular visitor. During the 1930s Sir Nigel Gresley, of the London and North Eastern Railway, was in residence. He was responsible for the A4 Pacific Steam Locomotives one of which, Mallard, holds the world speed record for steam locomotives of 126.5 mph. Rumour has it that the name came from the ducks in the moat. In September 1939 the de Havilland Aircraft Company established the Mosquito design team in the Hall, the Prototype Mosquito, E0234/W4050, subsequently being built in the adjacent buildings. De Havillands left in 1947 and the Hall slipped into a derelict condition. However, in 1955 the Hall was taken in hand by an ex Royal Marine Major named Walter Goldsmith who restored it and opened it up to the public. He brought back the prototype Mosquito, E0234/W4050, as one of the attractions in 1959, an action which led to the establishment of the Mosquito Aircraft Museum. Walter Goldsmith sold the Hall in 1981 and since then it has been restored to a very high standard and remains in private ownership to this day. PLEASE NOTE THAT SALISBURY HALL IS NO LONGER OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Many members of the Museum have spent the night here but none of them have seen any of the resident ghosts (or pink elephants either for that matter!). However, one member saw stars when he walked into the Trident in the early hours of one morning!

Venue Type:

Museum

Opening hours

First Sunday of March to last Sunday of October:
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays 14:00 - 17:30
Sundays and Bank Holidays 10:30 - 17:30

Admission charges

Adults £6.00 (with Gift Aid £6.60)
Senior Citizens £5.00 (with Gift Aid £5.50)
Children £4.00 (with Gift Aid £4.40)
Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children) £16:00 (with Gift Aid £17.60)
Under 5's FREE

For Groups and Guided Tours by prior arrangement contact Ralph Steiner on 020-8954-5080

Collection details

Aviation, Weapons and War

Key artists and exhibits

  • Cierva C.24 long term loan from the Science Museum collection
  • DH88 Comet
  • DH87 Hornet Moth
  • DH94 Moth Minor
  • DH89 Dragon Rapide
  • DH82 Tiger Moth
  • DH114 Heron 2D
  • DH104 Dove 8
  • HS.125 Srs 1
  • HS121 Trident 2E (Cockpit open to visitors)
  • DH106 Comet 1XB
  • DH104 Dove 6
  • DH106 Comet 2 SIM
  • DH98 Mosquito I prototype
  • LF789 Queen Bee
  • DH98 Mosquito FB6
  • DH98 Mosquito TT.35
  • DH98 Mosquito TT.35
  • WP790 Chipmunk T.10
  • WP927 Chipmunk T.10
  • DH112 Venom NF.3
  • DH112 Sea Venom FAW.22
  • DH110 Sea Vixen FAW.2
  • DH115 Vampire T.11
  • DH106 Comet C.2(R)
  • J-1008 Vampire FB.6
  • J-1632 Venom FB.50
  • BAPC.232 Horsa I / II
advertisement