When the Governor suggested that the Gibraltar Museum should be founded in 1930, the choice of building to be used to house the museum was obvious. Close to the Main Street of Gibraltar, in the town centre, was a house known as Bomb House – the former residence of the Principal Artillery Officer- in which cellar was the most extraordinary structure. It houses an almost intact Moorish Bath, that dates to the 14th century North African Merinid Dynasty which ruled in Gibraltar. In fact, the baths were in such an amazing state of preservation, that they were held to be the best in existence in Europe at the time.
Open all year, daily, Mon-Fri, 1000-1800, Sat, 1000-1400. Closed Sun, Bank Hols. Last admission 30 mins before closing.
Children under 12 £1.00
Children under 5 free.
The Evelegh Collection: On loan courtesy of Colonel JRGN Evelegh. This collection, from the direct descendant of John Evelegh who served in Gibraltar during the Great Siege of 1779-83, includes a set of model cannon and mortars which were made in Gibraltar during the Great Siege.
Archaeology, Architecture, Maritime, Social History, Weapons and War
18-20 Bomb House Lane
P. O. Box 939