35 Little Russell Street
0207 580 8155
020 7631 0793
The Cartoon Museum exhibits the very finest examples of British cartoons, caricature, and comic art from the 18th century to the present day. There is also a shop, an archive and a reference library.
Museum, Gallery, Library, Archive
Mon - Sat, 10.30-17.30
Also open Bank Holidays. Closed over Christmas and New Year
Free for Children, U18, Art Fund
Nearest tube: Holborn
There are currently about 900 works in the collection. These include original cartoons, caricatures, drawings, sketches and letters.There is also a selection of eighteenth century original prints. Some rare books featuring the work of cartoon artists are also included in the collection.
Design, Film and Media, Fine Art, Literature, Social History, Weapons and War
Key artists and exhibits
- Rare and original artwork on loan from The Beano, the Dandy, and Topper including The Bash Street Kids, Roger the Dodger, Billy the Whizz, Desperate Dan, Beryl the Peril and of course Dennis the Menace.
- Classic works by Gillray including The Plum Pudding and, John Bull - taking a luncheon, and The Zenith of French Glory.
- Cartoons in 3D including Gerald Scarfe¹s memorable Chairman Mao, Scarfe's caricatured original leather armchair from 1971.
- Cartoons by Larry, Kipper Williams, Tony Husband, Nick Newman and many more.
- Emett¹s working ‘Fairway Birdie’ (made by this eccentric cartoonist whose wacky contraptions appeared in Chitty Bang Bang, and at The Festival of Britain.)
- Classic war cartoons including Sir David Low¹s ‘All Behind you, Winston’, and Bruce Bairnsfather¹s, ‘If you know a better ‘Ole...’
- Colour mural painted by top cartoonists including Steve Bell, Dave Brown, Martin Rowson, Peter Brookes, Chris Riddell, MAC and Hunt Emerson.
- Annual cover drawings by Carl Giles featuring the Giles family and his immortal Granny.
The Age of Glamour
- 11 September — 24 December 2013 *on now
The golden years of Hollywood and the West-End stage - stunning caricatures of Garbo, Chaplin, Gloria Swanson, Ralph Richardson, Bette Davis, Gracie Fields, Edith Evans, Stanley Holloway, Buster Keaton and many others.
Free with admission
Bring me Laughter
- 7 January — 23 February 2014
Cartoons and caricatures by Anton, HM Bateman, Max Beerbohm, Peter Brookes, Jonathan Cusick, Disney, Fougasse, Giles, Pont, Heath Robinson, Matt, Ronald Searle, Trog and many others from the collection of George and Pat Walker.
Nearest tube: Holborn