Leicester Museums & Galleries website
Enquiries at Newarke Houses Museum
0116 225 4980
The Magazine Gateway was the main entrance into the Newarke precinct and was built around 1400. The gate has no portcullis (sliding iron door) and its main purpose was to impress visitors rather than be defensive. It is uncertain what use was made of the rooms inside the gateway during the Middle Ages. They may have been used to house visitors to the Newarke or have been rented to townspeople.
The name Newarke means 'new works' and it was once a quiet religious precinct on the edge of medieval Leicester. It was founded by the earls of Lancaster in the 14th century. The stone walls of the Newarke enclosed the church of St. Mary of the Annunciation, Trinity Hospital and several priests' houses.
Historic house or home, Architecture centre, Heritage site
Open for events only.