21 New Globe Walk
0207 902 1500
0207 902 1515
Founded by the pioneering American actor and director Sam Wanamaker, Shakespeare's Globe is a unique international resource dedicated to the exploration of Shakespeare's work and the playhouse for which he wrote, through the performance and education.
Together, the Globe Theatre Company, Shakespeare's Globe Exhibition and Globe Education seek to further the experience and international understanding of Shakespeare in performance through three central and inter-dependent activities:
1) The faithfully reconstructed Globe Theatre hosts an extensive exhibition about Shakespeare and the theatre of his day.
2) Producing excellent performances through productions of stimulating classic and new plays at the Globe Theatre.
3) The Globe is an international focal point for the study of Shakespeare in performance. The facilities at Bankside are a resource for students, teachers and academics from all over the world and Shakespeare’s Globe provides educational programmes and publishes material for students at all levels.
Museum, Association or society
The Globe Theatre season runs from April through to October. There are a range of matinee and evening performances.
Open daily: 9.00am – 5.30pm
Tours: 9.30am – 5.00pm
Tours depart every half an hour between the times shown.
Globe Theatre Productions
£5 - £42
Exhibition and Globe Theatre Tour
Senior (60+): £12.00
Student (with valid ID): £11.00
Children (5-15): £8.00
Children (under 5): Free
Family (up to 2 adults & 3 children): £36.00
Dr Scroggy's War by Howard Brenton
- 12 — 13 September 2014 7:30-10pm
- 15 September 2014 7:30-10pm
- 16 September 2014 2-5pm
- 17 September 2014 7:30-10pm
- 26 September 2014 7:30-10pm
- 27 September 2014 2-5pm
- 29 September 2014 7:30-10pm
- 3 October 2014 7:30-10pm
- 4 October 2014 2-5pm
- 6 October 2014 7:30-10pm
- 10 October 2014 7:30-10pm
In Howard Brenton’s epic new play about the First World War, Jack Twigg, 19 years old, enlists in the London Regiment and goes on a journey he never imagined – nor did the rest of the world. On his way, he meets the pioneering medic Harold Gillies, who saves his life and his sanity. But who is the mysterious ‘Doctor Scroggy’ who appears at night in Gillies’s hospital dispensing champagne to the patients?
Howard Brenton and John Dove, the team that brought you Anne Boleyn (Best New Play – What’s On Stage Awards) return to the Globe depicting Gillies’s war against war. Hilarious and moving, Dr Scroggy’s War gives a sideways look at the First World War a hundred years after its onset.
£5 standing, £15-£42 seating
Our expert guides will take you on a fascinating tour of the Globe Theatre and auditorium, bringing the space to life with stories of the 1599 Globe, the reconstruction process in the 1990s, and how the ‘wooden O’ works today as a theatrical space.
During matinees at the Globe, we tour the site of the Rose instead - the only Elizabethan playhouse excavated on a large scale by archaeologists.
A short film introducing the colourful history of the Rose, the Bankside area and the ongoing discoveries made at the site is also on show in the Globe Exhibition.
How to obtain
Call 020 7902 1400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Virtual Tour of Shakespeare's Globe
A virtual tour exploring the stage, yard, middle gallery and upper gallery of Shakespeare's Globe, filmed during the run of The Merchant of Venice in 2007.
How to obtain
You may need to download the Quicktime plugin for your browser to view the virtual tour.