Sopwell Nunnery

Sopwell Nunnery, St Albans

Commonly called Sopwell Nunnery, the ruins here should more correctly be known as Lee Hall. Sopwell Nunnery was founded on this site in 1140 but the ruins that are visible today are not the remains of the Nunnery. In 1540, after the Dissolution, King Henry VIII granted the land to Sir Richard Lee, a soldier, engineer and adviser to the King. Sir Richard demolished the nunnery and built a house on the foundations. The romantic ruins you see today are all that remain of Sir Richard's Tudor mansion.

Venue Type:

Historic house or home, Sacred space, Heritage site

Opening hours

All year round

Admission charges

Free

Collection details

Archaeology, Architecture

Sopwell Nunnery
off Cottonmill Lane, St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire
AL1 2BY
England

Website

www.stalbansmuseums.org.uk/sopwell-nunery/

E-mail

Museum Bookings

museumbookings@stalbans.gov.uk

Telephone

01727 751810

01727 819340

Fax

01727 859919

All information is drawn from or provided by the venues themselves and every effort is made to ensure it is correct. Please remember to double check opening hours with the venue concerned before making a special visit.
advertisement